In this article, we will answer the question: can a toddler use a Weighted Blanket? However, we must clarify why we say Toddler (1-year-old - 3-year-old) as the minimum age range. Weighted Blankets may not be safe for Babies (under 12 months old). The minimum required to sleep with a Weighted Blanket is that the sleeper must be able to move/remove the blanket unassisted. You should consult with a pediatrician to make sure a Weighted Blanket is safe for your child if you are uncertain.
Before we dive into the conversation, let’s first recap what a Weighted Blanket is and how they differ for children!
What is a Weighted Blanket?
A Weighted Blanket is a carefully crafted blanket that completely covers your body as you rest. Through multiple layers of premium fabric, pockets of micro-glass beads, and luxuriously soft outer layers, the blanket rests over your body as you relax or try to sleep. To your body, this weight feels like a hug—which naturally feels good to our bodies as it releases positive chemicals in the brain. This is why when we’re feeling down, anxious, or just upset, a hug always helps take the edge off!
We have a complete guide on how our Weighted Blankets are made here. This experience is universal, however, for toddlers, the potential benefits are slightly different! Weighted blankets are capable of reducing adults' stress, anxiety and pains so that we can sleep more. The needs and demands of a toddler’s body is different, so how they benefit from a Weighted Blanket is different too!
Weighted Blanket Benefits for Toddlers
As we covered in our previous blog post, there are three key benefits a toddler might experience when using a Weighted Blanket. We went through our thousands of customer reviews and picked out the three main themes parents talk about when reviewing a Weighted Blanket for a toddler.
- Weighted blankets can give toddlers more restful sleep. A lot of parents have provided us with excellent feedback about how their Toddler sleeps faster and for longer periods without disruption. They also reported how this impacted their behavior! This would include fewer mood swings, better eating habits, and easier for their toddler to stick to a bedtime routine each day!
- Weighted blankets can help Toddlers with Autism Similarly, our YNM Weighted Blankets are growing popular within the parenting Autism communities worldwide. During moments of high anxiety/emotions, a Weighted Blanket around the shoulders has received plenty of positive feedback as a method to help comfort the toddler.
- Weighted blankets can act as a comforter This also extends to all toddlers with a lot of built-up energy/emotions—especially at the end of the day. It can also act as a Weighted lap Blanket for toddlers. Fold the blanket onto itself and place it over a lap. Doing either of these can help relax your toddler and regulate their energy levels at key moments throughout the day. You must choose the right weight for the Weighted Blanket to be effective. For toddlers, 5lb is the best selling weighted blanket option. However, we have other weights and sizes available. So, what are the tips on selecting the right Weighted Blanket toddler size?
How Heavy Should A Weighted Blanket for a Toddler Be?
5 lbs is the lowest weight range of weighted blankets for toddlers. For parents, you should choose an option that is 10% of your child's total weight.
The weight of the blanket will rely on both the age & weight of your kid. As they grow and develop over the years, consider the following ranges:
- If your kid has a weight between 40 lbs - 70 lbs, buy the 5 lbs kids weighted blanket.
- For 70 lbs - 90 lbs, go for the 7 lbs kids weighted blanket.
- For 90 lbs - 120 lbs, it is great to select 10 lbs kids weighted blanket.
Other than our 5 lbs Weighted Blanket for toddlers, the sizes remain consistent with a single-size bed. Customers often contact us about the a 3 lbs weighted blanket for toddlers; however, here is our suggestion: please try not to use a weighted blanket if your kid is less than 40 lbs.
Anyone using a Weighted Blanket must be able to move and remove the blanket without help. Never use a Weighted Blanket for Babies. If you happen to have any concerns, please consult with your pediatrician first.
Weighted Blanket for toddler
People ask us many questions about the overall design and robustness of our Weighted Blankets and whether they can sustain the daily lifestyle when exposed to physically active children.
We spent a lot of time and resources crafting a premium blanket that can resist wear and tear. Our Weighted Blankets are tough to break down from our high-quality fabrics to the refined stitching process! The pockets containing our glass bead technology are sealed within multiple layers to prevent them from leaking into other pockets, let alone outside the confines of the blanket. You can see a breakdown of the layers below:
For additional protection, we strongly recommend that you purchase a cover. A cover provides a first line of defense against stains and spills (it’s easier to clean a cover than the Weighted Blanket) and can also customize the Weighted Blanket beyond its original state.
You can purchase new fabrics (Cotton, Cooling, Minky) and choose from dozens of fun and unique designs! We have one of the deepest catalogs available for designs, and there will surely be a blanket to suit your toddler's preferences!
Not only is a Weighted Blanket safe for toddlers but they can also be customized to grow with your Child’s taste!
Is A Weighted Blanket For Your Child?
The final question you might have is whether a Weighted Blanket would suit your child, their personality, and general lifestyle. To help you answer this question, you can try answering the following questions:
- Is your toddler physically active and has high energy levels?
- Does your child struggle to relax and remain still for extended periods of time?
- Enjoy the comfort of a blanket or other soft objects like a stuffed toy?
- Do they struggle to get consistent amounts of sleep? Do they enjoy naps?
If you answered yes to most of these questions, then it’s likely your child will enjoy the experience of a Weighted Blanket for toddlers!
A Weighted Blanket for toddlers/children largely depends on your child and their preferences. The best way to determine whether they are a good fit for your kid is to try it and see!
Parents have given us plenty of positive feedback with their experiences. Take this review from a Mother who purchased one for her child with ADHD: